Bribery Crimes in FL
Orlando Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer
Bribery is giving, offering, or promising any public servant a financial benefit not authorized by law to influence them in some way, or the acceptance of such an illegal gift. Providing benefits of any kind to influence the behavior of a public official is a serious crime that is punishable by severe consequences. If convicted, you could be facing jail time and hefty fines, which means you need an Orlando federal criminal defense attorney who can work to preserve your freedom and good name.
Secure your freedom. Contact us today!
Facing charges of bribery?
Bribery is committed when any attempt is made the influence the behavior of any type of any of public entity through the means of payment.
Examples include providing some sort offer to:
- An agent or employee of another person
- A trustee, guardian, or another fiduciary
- A lawyer, physician, accountant, appraiser, or another professional adviser
- An officer, director, partner, manager, or other participants in the direction of an organization
- An arbitrator or other purportedly disinterested adjudicator or referee
Like other types of white collar crimes, bribery can either be classified as a state or federal crime depending on the circumstances.
Penalties for Federal Bribery Crimes
Federal authorities have jurisdiction over bribery charges if the target was a member of Congress, bank officials, federal employees, or are related to a sporting event affecting interstate commerce.
Bribing carries steep penalties including:
- 15 years in jail and up to 3 times the amount of the bribe for a bribing a public official
- 5 years in jail for bribery relating to a sporting event
- 15 years for bribery to circumvent port security
- 30 years in jail and a $1 million fine for bribing a bank official
Obtain Firm Defense Today
With your freedom at stake, look to the Orlando criminal defense lawyers who have the experience handling federal crimes needed to protect you. At Halscott Megaro PA, we defend clients charged with serious crimes and we know what strategies are the most effective. We bring an unmatched level of knowledgeability and professionalism to all our cases.